Our Lady of the Rosary Parish
Our Lady of the Rosary Parish, which is affiliated with the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan, is a communio of Christ’s disciples called to Christian witnessing and mission, living out the spirituality of ICTHUS (Integration of Faith and Life; Catechesis; Thanksgiving; Unity in Diversity and Service, Justice and Charity).
The history of the parish began in the year 1610 when it was raised to the status of “vicaria” which is the equivalent of a parish at that time. The first parish priest was Fr. Tomas Gutierrez, OP. Most of the parish priests were Dominicans except in the year 1901-1912, when diocesan priests were assigned, like Fr. Mariano Pacis and Fr. Manuel Corrales, a member of the Dominican Clerical Fraternity.
Many years later, as a result of new negotiations between Fr. Serapio Tamayo and Fr. Pedro Rosa, on behalf of the Dominicans, and the Most Rev. Pedro J. Hurth, Bishop of Vigan, on January 15, 1926, the Sacred Congregation of the Council installed the Dominican Order in perpetual possession of the parish of Manaoag “ad nutum Sanctae Sedis” that is, “at the discretion of the Holy See”.
At present, Fr. Allan V. Lopez, OP is the parish priest, who together with the parochial vicars, Fr. Bejay Namuag, OP, Fr. Bienvenido Trinilla, Jr. OP and Fr. Anthony Eudela, OP, administers the twenty-two barangays of Manaoag except for barangay Parian, Matulong and Mermer which are already under the jurisdiction of the Blessed Sacrament Parish in Torres, Mapandan and Inamotan under the Diocese of Urdaneta.
The twenty-two barangays are clustered into 35 BECs (Basic Ecclessial Community). These BECs are the so-called “heart of the parish” and are being formed in three areas – worship, evangelization and social services.
To fulfill its mission of evangelization, the parish collaborates with fourteen full time catechists and four volunteer catechists, who teach Christian faith and morals to the students of different public schools in Manaoag. They also give catechesis, assist and prepare the lay people especially before receiving the Sacraments. As an extended service, the catechists also function in the Basilica as ushers, collectors, lectors/commentators, Eucharistic Ministers of the Holy Communion and Choir members.
In the office, four employees are in-charge of keeping the records of the sacramental ministry and liturgical activities of the parish. They welcome and assist parish visitors (sponsors, parishioners and pilgrims).
As one parish, the priest and the people are united together to worship God, receive the sacraments, to hear God’s word proclaimed and explained, to serve Christ by serving others and to bring the Good News of salvation to those who do not yet know Christ and His Church.